Sparklers, like any other fireworks, must be used with care
Did you know that sparklers reach temperatures of over 2,000°C? That’s over 15 times the boiling point of water.
Safety with sparklers
- Store sparklers and other fireworks in a closed box in a cool, dry place.
- Always light sparklers one at a time and wear gloves.
- Never hold a baby or child if you have a sparkler in your hand.
- Plunge finished sparklers hot end down into a bucket of water as soon as they have burnt out.
- Sparklers remain hot for a long time.
- Don't take sparklers to public displays. It will be too crowded to use them safely.
Children and sparklers
- Supervise children and show them how to hold their sparkler safely away from their bodies - at arm's length.
- Teach children not to wave sparklers near anyone else or run while holding them.
- Never give sparklers to the under 5s - they will not understand how to use them safely.
- Always supervise children using sparklers.
- Give children gloves to wear when holding sparklers.
- Avoid dressing children in loose or flowing clothes - they may catch light.
In an emergency
- Cool the burn or scald with cold water for at least 10 minutes.
- Cut around material sticking to the skin - don't pull it off.
- Don't touch the burn or burst any blisters.
- Cover the burn with clean, non-fluffy material - cling film is ideal - to prevent infection.
- If clothing catches fire, get the person to stop, drop to the floor and roll them in heavy material like a curtain.
- Get advice from your doctor or accident and emergency department at your local hospital.
For more information please visit : The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents